Bright colors and silver metallic accents make this mermaid fabric so fun! Kona cotton solids were chosen to complement the main colors in this fabric for the scalloped underskirt. Any color in the fabric could be used for the scales!
The Blithe Dress pattern by Violette Field Threads was used for this dress with one modificaton. For the peekaboo underskirt, the Lottie skirt pattern by Violette Field Threads was used. In order to construct the scalloped underskirt, the following was done:
1) The length of the underskirt was divided into 3.
2) The full length was used for the bottom tier of scales (purple). The second third became the length for the second row of scales (medium pink), and the top third was the length of the top row of scales (light pink).
3) The Lottie scalloped hem template was used to create the scalloped edge on each row of scales.
4) In order to ensure the skirt seam was not too bulky when attached to the bodice, the middle tier of scales (medium pink) was attached to the full length underskirt (purple). The top tier (light pink) was constructed using the XX construction to reduce seam bulk since it is not gathered.
5) After gathering the full length tier of scales (that now has the middle row of scales attached to it) was basted to the top tier of scales. These were now treated as one underskirt.
The overall effect created a cascade of peekaboo mermaid scales!